Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lying around waiting for my back to heal

Lying around waiting for my back to heal is getting old. It's been almost two weeks now, and what started out as a minor back-ache isn't getting any better. Nothing seems to be working: massages, a doctor's visit, muscle relaxants, Limbaugh-style pain killers, exercise, no exercise, hot packs, cold packs, stretching, and lying around doing nothing at all. Even Farley is getting annoyed with me. He hasn't been on a decent walk since I got back from Edmonton.

The only good news is that I've been able to watch more of the Olympics than I otherwise would. I've never been a huge fan of the Olympics, but I can easily get wrapped up in things I'd never normally watch. Like beach volleyball. Amazing stuff! Especially 6'+ women wearing next to nothing while playing for the gold in the pouring rain like the US and China did last night. That was a lot more fun to watch than the super-heavyweight women's weightlifting I saw a couple of nights ago. This morning I flipped on the TV to see women's handball. I thought that women's handball was like racquetball without racquets, but no. It's a combination of soccer and basketball with some hockey thrown. I didn't know the sport existed, and it's an Olympic sport, no less! I do get a kick out of the American commentators talking about how the US is winning the medal count. Yes, indeed, they have won the most medals, but the last time I looked, China had won 46 gold, versus 29 for the US. You'd think that would count for something.

Obama didn't announce his VP yet. I still hope it's Biden, but I've even come around to thinking that Hilary might do more good than harm. She and Bill would make great attack dogs, and it could satisfy her urge to occupy at least part of the White House again. I am gratified to see that Obama and his surrogates have finally turned up the heat on McCain. When McCain doesn't even know how many houses he owns, it's hard for him to argue that he's in touch with the common man. Of course his excuse is his all purpose excuse. He was a POW. One of his staffers showed indignation at the question, saying, "Here is a man that occupied only one house for five and a half years - a prison." I think the Obama campaign could (and should) make McCain look like Mr. Magoo with a montage of the gaffes he's made in the last few months. If they don't turn up the heat, and keep it up, Obama will end up like John Kerry.

No comments: