Sunday, November 23, 2008

Maui

Blogging will be light this week because the internet on the boat is outrageously expensive - 50 to 75 cents per minute, depending on what kind of plan you buy. So here I am at a rather forlorn outdoor mall on shore that doesn't have much to offer other than free Wi-Fi.

Yesterday was a rather long and annoying day, starting with the $15 per bag charge for checking a bag on Northwest. Then the trip through security at the airport. Like a dummy, I left my $90 sailor's knife in my backpack, and the geniuses with Homeland Security found it. I wasn't about to donate it to them, so I went back out, and at a small kiosk, mailed the knife back to myself for $9.00. With the second trip through the security lines, I barely had enough time to make the plane. But I made it. Then a rather uneventful flight to Honolulu with zero free food service. Not even any crappy pretzels. The sandwich and salad combo cost $10, but I passed because it looked so crappy. Martha did succumb, and she did confirm my suspicions about the quality. When we got off the plane, we were met by a Norwegian Cruise line rep, who tried to get us to the minibus on the lower level of the airport. We walked a long way to the elevator (remember Mom uses a walker), only to discover it was out of service. Another long walk, and eventually a wheelchair, was needed to get us to working elevators. The cruise ship reception was in a giant old warehouse with long lines and more incompetent security. we eventually got on board, but they lost one of Martha's bags. She didn't get it till late last night.

Oh, and did I tell you it's been cloudy and rainy since we got here? Things can only get better from here on in, right!? But then again, it doesn't really matter. I'll have a great time, just spending some good quality time with my Mom and my sisters.

No comments: