Monday, January 11, 2010

You'd think I'd know better

After my episode a year or so ago when I lost a crown to Milk Duds, you think I'd know better than to taunt the dental-industrial establishment by chowing down on some peanut brittle. But noooo! I not only have to learn lessons the hard way; sometimes I have to have essentially the same hard lesson twice.

A few nights ago I had an irrational urge for some peanut brittle. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but for some reason the thought of caramelized sugar and nuts was irresistible. Maybe I was just bored. So I got on the internets, pulled down a recipe, and went out to get some nuts. I made the peanut brittle pretty much according to the recipe, except that I substituted Roger's Golden Syrup for the recommended light corn syrup. It turned out pretty well, but was more like a really hard toffee rather than the peanut brittle I was expecting. Maybe it had something to do with the syrup substitution. I was careful while chewing it, knowing that I had already lost one crown in a similar situation. But unfortunately I wasn't so careful when it came to breaking off a chunk of the stuff with my teeth. There was no pain, but the tooth felt funny to my tongue. At first I thought that a chunk of the toffee/brittle had stuck to my tooth, but I wasn't so lucky. One look in the mirror showed that I'd broken off the front half of the crown.

Oh well, there goes another $1100 I didn't really want anyway.

And yes, I'm growing back the facial hair. I've been shaving it all regularly for at least a year and a half now, so I think it's about time I took at least a partial break and grew some winter facial foliage.

No comments: