Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Campbell River



Chatterbox Falls and the accompanying warning sign. (I wonder how often it gets updated)


Here's the dock at the end of Princess Louisa Inlet.

We spent a couple of days on Granville Island, a day at Gibson's, a day at Princess Louisa Inlet, and the last couple of days here in Campbell River. The sun is shining for the first time in days, my water issues are all resolved, so all is well with the world. Water issues? What water issues? Well, the truth will come out sooner or later, so I may as well tell you all. Remember a couple of years ago when I put water in the diesel tank in the BVI? And I swore I'd never do that again? Well, I didn't do that, but I did put diesel in my water tank!!! What a pain that turned out to be! First, ecologically responsible person that I am, I talked the Esso dealer here into taking my contaminated diesel. But I had to find something to put it in and get it there. So I bought a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans, pumped the water tank out into the marina until the diesel started flowing, filled the jerry cans, emptied the jerry cans, and repeated until the tank was empty. Then I refilled my tank with water and discovered that my water pump had died. The next day, I bought a new pump and managed to install it myself, but then did a lot of cursing and head-scratching until I finally got the water flowing. So now I've pumped out my tank a couple of times, and refilled it from the bottom (by hooking up the water hose to the outlet of the tank), and put in some diesel-eating bacteria. We're drinking bottled water and will use the tank water for cleanup and showers.

Today we're heading back across to Desolation Sound, and then we'll head north and probably make it as far as Port Hardy before we turn around and make our way back to Seattle. We'll be back some time after Labor Day.

1 comment:

rita said...

Oh my god...you guys are having way too much fun...

Inspite of your misshap...the pictures look wonderful...I can honestly say...wish I were there...see ya all when you get back....