Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mr. Incredible

I'm off to San Diego in a couple of days. I hope that the smoke has mostly cleared by then, but in any case, from the news reports I've seen, the downtown and waterfront areas weren't too badly affected by all the fires. I get there late Saturday night, with lots of time to get ready for the Baja Ha-Ha kickoff costume party on Sunday night. Due to popular demand, I'm
resurrecting Mr. Incredible. For those of you who've forgotten about him, are still trying to forget, or never had the pleasure, here he is in all his glory!
The Baja Ha-Ha race starts on Monday. Here's a link if you want to check out what the Baja Ha-Ha is all about. http://www.baja-haha.com/ The 'Can't Believe We Cheated Death Again' party in Cabo is on November 8th, and assuming that I actually did cheat death once again, I'll be flying back to San Diego on the 9th for a week of sailing classes with Bonnie at the local J-School. We'll be back in Seattle November 17th.
With all the plane flights and airport down time, I should be able to catch up on some reading. I plan on taking Atonement, by Ian McEwan, and 1491 by Charles C. Mann. I started the year off reading like crazy, but for whatever reason, I haven't read a whole lot for the last few months. One book I did read in the last couple of weeks is On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan. It's a short book, more of a novella really, but what a delicious read! The story is centers on the painful wedding night of an English couple in the bygone era of the early sixties, a few years before the "sexual revolution" of the late 60's and 70's. It's a story of love, lost love and lost innocence. It certainly isn't a happily-ever-after story, but it is remarkedly well-told, and one I'd heartily recommend.

No comments: