Friday, November 9, 2007

Cabo San Lucas

Well, we cheated death once again! I'm sitting in a coffee shop in Cabo, after having a good night's sleep (on land) and a fabulous shower.

This is just a quick update. I'll post more and add a bunch of pictures once I get to San Diego. Here are the facts:

Leg one- San Diego to Turtle Bay. 381 miles, 51 hours, 23 minutes. Consistent winds to 25 knots, 6'-8' seas. This was certainly a baptism by fire for me. It was the first time I'd sailed in open water, at night, by instrument. My first night watch alone, starting at 3AM was interesting, to say the least. Boat speeds were up to 12.4 knots!

Leg two- Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria. 240 miles, 41 hours, 24 minutes. Again we had strong winds, but only up to around 20 knots. We sailed wing-on-wing most of the way. It was less stressful than the first night, but exhilirating nonetheless. We had a huge beach party the second night there, but the pangas quit running due to darkness and dangerous surf. As a result, I and 71 other brave souls spent the night on the beach. We were about to start drawing straws to see who would be eaten first when the sun came up and the surf went down. We all survived.

Leg three- Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo. 184 miles, 28 hours, 36 minutes. This was the least eventful of the legs. The winds died down in the middle of the night, so we ended up motoring for the last six hours.

More to follow from San Diego. My battery is dying!

No comments: