Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter Wonderland Cont'd

The snow continues... Well actually the snow tapered off last night, but it's supposed to continue on and off today. On Wednesday, rain is forecast, with more snow later in the week. In the meantime the winter wonderland effect continues. Check out these shots from the Stonewater courtyard.

I did get my car out on the streets a couple of times yesterday. The main roads are passable (barely), but the side streets are treacherous. Yesterday after sledding, I joined Caroline and Alex in Green Lake for a couple of drinks before heading over to Pies and Pints for a meat pie and another beer. (I think Pies and Pints has a great business concept... a good selection of beer, and really tasty homemade pot pies.) Then we came back to Stonewater for a hot tub in the snow.



All was well until I tried to take Caroline and Alex back to Green Lake. When I brought them over here, I couldn't quite make the turn to get into my parking garage, and it was too slippery to back up the hill and take another run at it, so I just parked on the street. When we left, I got out of the parking spot alright but lost control in the slick middle of the street. I managed to get up against the curb in the deep snow on the other side of the street, quit pushing my luck, and called it quits for the night. Caroline and Alex walked back to Green Lake (at least that's where they were heading as they disappeared into the snowy mist), and the Audi is still parked on the street. I don't know if I'll be able to get it out of there or not. It must be serious stuff if an all-wheel drive Audi with an expert Canadian driver gets stranded in the wilds of Fremont.

We had lots of fun sledding and tobogganing in the alley. Here are Hal and me with Farley in the middle on Farley's first toboggan ride. At first he wasn't real wild about getting on, but once we got going he was like the typical dog with his face hanging out of the window of a car on the freeway. Since Farley likes to pull on a leash so much, I thought he might be a good sled dog and haul the toboggan back up the hill. No such luck! Even though he has lots of pulling power, he continued his tradition of not doing anything useful (kinda like his master).






Next, it was just me and Farley on the sled! Once again, he enjoyed himself; at least until I lost control and wiped out.












A good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love it- great shots Uncle Wal!! I was splitting my gut laughing...guess the Saskatchewan prairies require different driving skills than the hills of your Freemont. Priceless.
Makes me think I've got to come home for a white Christmas one of these years. And with Alvin of course!!