Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Unkindest Cut of All

Here's one last look at Farley before he visits the vet tomorrow. Right now, he weighs about 34 pounds, but he'll come back at least a little lighter tomorrow. Poor guy! I've told him to lick himself while he can, but I don't think he understands. Not only will the focus of his attention be gone, he'll be wearing one of those dumb Elizabethan collars for a week, so he can't lick himself. Period.

Having him fixed is the responsible thing to do, but I did consider not doing it. Those in favor of neutering say that he will be more mellow, won't bulk up quite as much, and of course won't be able to father unwanted puppies. Well, Farley is about as mellow as can be; he can't run around loose and chase the hot bitches in Fremont; and he sure would make cute pups, but I decided to do it anyway. He's going to be bigger than I planned on so a little less bulk won't hurt; I doubt that I would ever breed him; and even though dogs probably don't understand this one way or another, he won't miss what he's never had.

Or so I'd like to think. I'm sorry, Farley!

No comments: