Friday, March 27, 2009

Bursitis? Bursitis?? WTF??


Olecranon bursitis to be more specific.
Bursitis is one of those familiar words (at least to me), the meaning of which is totally unfamiliar. I'd vaguely think of some old person complaining of bursitis, but not link it to any specific affliction. Well now I know. Yesterday after working in the dirt and bamboo on my deck, the point of my right elbow was sore, like I'd smacked it really hard or something. I didn't do anything like that, and kinda dismissed the pain as no big deal, took my wonderdrug NSAID Diclofen before I went to bed, and thought I'd feel better in the morning. Well, I had a fitful sleep, and the pain was worse if anything when I woke up. I still didn't think it was a big deal until I happened to look in the mirror, and saw what looked like this picture from Wikipedia. Other than all the hair, it could've been my arm!
I had no idea what was going on, so I called Group Health and described the symptoms to a consulting nurse. She didn't tell what it might be, but she did tell me to come in as soon as I could. That was reassuring. So, with thoughts of flesh-eating bacteria or some other horrible affliction running through my mind, I went to see a doctor this afternoon. The doc had the diagnosis done before he got the examination room door closed behind him. The treatment was to suck (with a needle, not a straw) the fluid out of the swelling and wrap my arm in a pressure bandage so the swelling wouldn't recur. If it doesn't get better over the weekend, I'll probably have to go in for a cortisone shot, but short of some nasty infection, that's the worst case scenario.
I should be good as new in no time.

No comments: