Saturday, June 27, 2009

I am the Champion!


Holy Cow! I may have waited almost 57 years to get my first athletic trophy! This morning I played in the biweekly Ironman racquetball tournament at the Olympic Athletic Club for the first time, and I won!

The tournament has an interesting format. We used both courts, and had eight players show up. Each game is played to seven points, with the winner staying on the court for the next challenger. The loser puts his name on challenge ladder for the next available winner. The winner can stay on for for three wins before he gets a rest and goes to the bottom of the challenge ladder. The player with the most wins wins the tournament and gets to keep the trophy until next time. It's a fast-moving format with lots of action and lots of different opponents. In two and a half hours, I won eight games, with the next nearest competitor winning six. I also lost about six games, but fortunately, losses don't count against you.

And now on a totally unrelated subject - Chinese censorship. Caroline is currently in Beijing, and just sent me an email saying that my blog is blocked on the internet there! I didn't realize I was such a subversive force.

No comments: