Friday, July 24, 2009

Big Green Egg Pizza

On Tuesday night, daughter Megan came over for a belated birthday celebration and mutual gift exchange. I asked her what she wanted to have for dinner, and she said she wanted pizza. Some time ago, I saw a recipe for pizza online at the NY Times, so I figured this was a good time to try it out. The recipe was unusual, at least in my experience with pizzas. No tomato sauce, no pepperoni or mushrooms. Get this - the toppings are dried figs, carmelized onions, bacon, and gorgonzola cheese! I've made pizzas quite often on the BGE, and they turn out pretty well, but I usually use dough from the local PCC. This time I figured I'd use the dough recipe from the Times, but I hadn't worked with flour and yeast for a year or more ago when my culinary instincts had led me to try baking bread. Anyway, I screwed it up by putting in too much water, and I ended up with a sticky, almost runny dough, so I added flour until the dough was workable. I wasn't sure if it would work or not, so I bought some fresh dough from PCC as an emergency backup. As it turned out, the pizza dough and the resulting pizza was the best I'd ever made! And one pizza was more than sufficient for Megan and me, so I had half the leftover homemade dough as well as the fresh dough I'd bought.

I didn't want this to go to waste, so last night I invited Hal and Colin over for pizza. I had enough ingredients for another fig pizza, and Hal brought over ingredients for a more traditional pizza. All went well until I put my pizza in the BGE and was ready to start on the second one. Where the hell was the dough? I knew I'd put it on the counter after taking it out of the fridge. Was I losing my mind? It's not in the fridge, it's not behind or anything under the counter. Why is Farley looking guilty? Why was Farley in behind the hot tub a while earlier? I thought I'd seen him with a ragged old ball or stuffed toy that he must have found somewhere.

Well, Colin made a quick trip to the PCC to get some more dough; the pizzas turned out great; and Farley seemed to be in no distress. The only question is how the dough ball (and cellophane it was wrapped in) would make it through Farley's system. Farley woke me up this morning to go outside, and though I'll spare you the details, he seems to be fine.

All's well in the world of Big Green Egg pizzas and dough-eating dogs.

No comments: