Friday, August 14, 2009

EFMF Wrapup

Every year is a good year at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival is a good one, but this year was better than average. The weather cooperated, with nary a drop of rain all weekend. I think this might be the first time in the ten years I've been going up there that I didn't have to pull out the rain gear.

Edmonton isn't really known (at least in my mind) as a beautiful city, but the EFMF venue along the banks of the North Saskatchewan River shows off the best Edmonton has to offer. With the skyline of Edmonton in the background and natural stadium seating along the hillside, there's not really a bad seat in the house.
Every year there are lots of interesting groups; some of whom are headed for stardom, and others to oblivion. Sierra Hull, pictured above, is definitely headed for stardom. She's a seventeen year old virtuoso singer and mandolin player from Tennessee. She first played at the Grand Old Opry at the ripe old age of twelve! If you're looking for the next Allison Krause or Dolly Parton, here she is.

My Utilikilt made its world-wide public debut. I must say that I like the airy feel and the swirl of the skirt on my naked thighs. Most of you guys out there don't know what you're missing.
Times are good in Edmonton, and even though I have no stats to back up the claim, I think Edmonton could be the breeding capital of the Western world. Pregnant women and small children were everywhere.


Who'd have thought that Hal would have some competition in the wild-coloured Hawaiian shirt department?
On the way back, we rode across Washington on Hwy 2. I've been through here before, but never really took note of Waterville, the town that Wal-Mart forgot. Though the town is far from prosperous, it does have a functioning downtown with various stores and restaurants. We stayed at the nicely restored Waterville Hotel. This hotel had been closed for twenty years before David and Amy bought it in 1992. Four years later, they were open for business, and have been ever since.
This old bank building is for sale. Looks like a good place for a micro brewery (or bomb shelter) to me.

All-in-all, even though Hal's wallet was a lot thinner by the time we got back, it was a very good trip. As usual, great thanks to Marian and Pete for their hospitality. We'll be back next year.

No comments: