Thursday, October 22, 2009

I have a new toy

My new Kindle was delivered yesterday. Even though Barnes & Noble is coming out with an e-reader in November, and there are rumors of a Google version, I bit the bullet and bought a Kindle. I was looking at the reading material I wanted to bring along on my next travel adventure and soon realized that I'd be schlepping around with a suitcase half-full of books. I've got 10 books loaded in right now, with room for 1500 (or something equally ridiculous).

Initial good impressions:
-The screen is amazingly readable, even in bright sunlight.
-The font is easily scalable, so if I get stuck without my glasses, I can just jack up the font size.
-It has a built in dictionary that will give you the definition of a word without exiting the book and opening the dictionary.
-It has rudimentary web-surfing capabilities, and you can subscribe to newspapers or blogs.

Initial bad impressions:
-The screen is smaller than I thought it would be.
-The 5-way controller, kinda like a joystick, takes some getting used to.
-Turning a page takes just a smidgen too long to be seamless. You can turn a page in a real book faster than the Kindle loads a new one.
-The device is a bit too thin to fit comfortably in your hands.

I'll report back after I actually read a book on the thing.

No comments: