Thursday, October 15, 2009

Michael Moore Awards

Andrew Sullivan has been one of my favorite must-read bloggers ever since I started surfing the net a zillion years ago. He was one of the original bloggers who was doing it full time long before it was cool. He is an incredibly prodigious writer whose opinion I value, even if I don't agree with him all the time. In any case, one of his regular features is the awards he gives out regularly for particularly insightful or stupid opinions. His award for divisive, bitter and intemperate left-wing rhetoric is called the Michael Moore Award.

After watching Capitalism: A Love Story, I think Andrew Sullivan should change the name of the award. I saw no evidence of the attributes associated with the award in Michael Moore's latest film. Even though I've cringed at times like Moore's ambush interview of an obviously senile Charlton Heston in Bowling for Columbine, I've liked all his films. Michael Moore reduces his credibility whenever he goes over the top, but even when he does, the basis for his claims is essentially true. He restrained himself this time, and I saw only a hard-hitting, heart-wrenching, and sometimes funny movie. Everyone should see it.

No comments: