Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Second Opinion

I went to see another orthopedic doctor at Group Health this afternoon. I'm not sure exactly why I made the appointment - I guess I just wanted to talk to a different doctor. I'm sure the first guy I saw is well-qualified and I really had no intention of changing doctors, but I had problems connecting with the first doctor. During the two previous appointments I had with him, the doctor was very professional and very much by the book, but for some reason I had problems feeling comfortable with him. He was giving me a very cautious prognosis for life after surgery that was at odds with what I'd seen and heard from people who'd had the surgery. I think what he was telling me was what he'd tell an 80-year-old patient, not a somewhat active (dare I say youthful?) 57-year-old guy like me.

Anyway, the new doc and I hit it off pretty well. I discussed some of my concerns about the communication difficulties I had with the first doctor, and asked him if there were any other options, like cortisone shots, that might delay surgery. Doc #1 had dismissed cortisone shots as not being an effective alternative. Doc #2 said they work pretty well for some people and asked if I wanted one. Like now. This minute. Having heard that these shots can be quite painful, I said 'yes' with some trepidation. Did I mention I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain? I wasn't sure I was mentally prepared to bite the bullet that I neglected to bring along. Anyway, Doc #2 disappeared for 30 seconds and came back with the biggest damn needle I'd ever seen. I got the shot, but it wasn't as bad as it looked. But I can see why some people could be intimidated. He shoved all 4" of the needle right into my knee. I thought it would hit a bone or come out the other side, but it didn't. He warned me that the cortisone doesn't usually kick in till the next day, and that I might have a pain flare-up at the injection site. Four hours later, so far so good.

I'll be pleased if regular cortisone shots work and delay surgery for a year or two or more. I never was all that convinced that surgery was the only option. But in the meantime, I'll keep my place in line.

1 comment:

bigredswildpitch said...

Hi Wally ,I had similar experience,my knee was ruined by playing a bit of ball---short and long---I had the max cortisone shots of 4 ,delayed surgery and was fine ,--I did get total replacement 4 years ago ---all is good ,hope the cort works for you as it did for me Cheers!!!