Sunday, April 22, 2007

Austin

Here we are in Austin at Datri and Chalo's house. No, not with Jesus in the background. The chickens are in the background. I'm on a Mac computer, so this post is causing more than normal posting difficulties. Don't ask me why everything is underlined. I guess Firefox on a Mac loses something in the translation to the PC world, Oh well, bear with me.

This picture of an 80' Jesus, taken by my daughter Caroline, won the grand prize in The Budget Traveler magazine contest. She took it at an amusement park outside of Buenos Aires last summer. Apparently every hour, Jesus would rise into the heavens, but there was a sign that said something like, "Jesus will not be rising today due to high winds." Caroline wrote up a short blub to accompany the photo (which she didn't send to me, so I've probably screwed up the story somewhat), sent it off last fall, and promptly forgot about it. She was notified a couple of days ago that hers was the grand prize winner. And the prize was......an all expense paid trip for two to Singapore!!!! Way to go Caroline!!!

I've lost all BMW v. Triumph bragging rights. My battery died today, and I either have a battery or electrical system issue. So there's me with my bike in a state that I'm more used to seeing Hal's in. Of course there are no BMW dealers open in Austin until Tuesday. I did find a battery shop to charge and test my battery. I'll find out tomorrow if it's just the battery, or whether something more serious is wrong. They do have a new battery, for a mere 1.3MU. (MU are $100, BU are $1000) So with some luck, I'll pop in a new battery and be on our way tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll have an unscheduled layover in Austin until the BMW deakership opens and gets me in for service.

I do have to give some major kudos to Datri and Chalo for the use of their place in their absence, with special thanks to Vivian and Connie for setting up our beds and welcoming us like old friends yesterday. They've all gone way above and beyond any call of duty. I hope that someday I'll be able to reciprocate in Seattle.




1 comment:

rita said...

OK...so you guys looked more debonair groping the x-rated stalagmites in the Carlsbad Caves..however..we all must deal with what the heavens or hells like to send our way...I would almost like to exchange what I am experiencing in the home/car/landscaping..etc..outrageous improvement estimations..to dealing with a battery problem in a place as pretty as Austin...hopefully at least the weather is cooperating and you guys are enjoying the territory...soo...hopefully all will work out well and not too expensively and you 2 will be on your way to more fun and adventure..looking forward to more comments on your road trip.....