Friday, February 19, 2010

The Cabin in the Woods

I'm using the updated template from Blogger, but so far it's just as annoying to post pictures as the old one was, but here goes anyway.

Good grief! Here I am 20 minutes later seeing how the pictures and text have migrated all over the page. I think the new template is even worse than the old one. Or maybe it's just me. There are millions of people using blogger, and I've seen some pretty good looking sites, so maybe it IS me. Oh well. Bear with me.
Megan, Caroline, Farley, Sandy and I went up to the cabin on Wednesday for the night, and came back yesterday. We've officially broken the place in, having steaks and a few drinks in celebration. All in attendance had a good time!

The place came pretty much furnished, but of course we (I) had to buy a bunch of stuff to put the Friesen stamp on it. It came with a coffee maker and some left-over Folger's coffee, but life is too short for crappy coffee, so we went out and bought a coffee grinder with beans to follow. There are lots of pots and pans and cutlery there, but they're all the cheap and tinny stuff you find in a place that used to be used for nightly rentals. More substantial stuff will have to be found because everyone knows how much the Friesen clan loves to cook (and eat).

Here's a shot of the 20'x30' garage. The former owners did a good job of cleaning it out and getting rid of the bodies that had been stacked up like cord wood. (Actually I don't know if bodies were stacked up in there like cord wood, but since I couldn't get in there the first couple of times I saw the place, I figured that must be the reason.)

Even though we didn't do much in the way of exercise while there, there is something about being in a cabin in the woods in the snow that makes you just want to crash.

Farley liked the place too, and went off exploring on his own for an hour or more. For some reason he goes totally deaf when he's running full speed away from the people who are calling for him to come back. Fortunately, the neighbors seem to be pretty dog friendly, and Farley's a friendly dog, so no one was upset about him running around loose.

This place has the easiest-lighting woodstove I've ever used. The previous owners left quite a lot of wood for the two stoves, but there was no kindling, and the pieces were so big I didn't think they'd ever start without the help of some flammable liquid. Well, once again I was wrong. I followed the instructions for lighting the stove with paper, and was absolutely flabbergasted at how soon the fire was roaring. I guess I can take the axe off my to-be-bought-immediately list.

When the fire is not on, there is an electric forced air furnace to keep the chill off.
Here's the view from the kitchen looking into the living room. The only thing missing from the kitchen is a dishwasher, but I guess that's why I have daughters. I'm thinking of maybe extending the kitchen floor into the living room area and putting in a big long table that can seat eight or ten people. There are all kinds of possibilities for arranging and re-arranging the floorplan, but I don't think I'll do anything drastic until I've been there a bunch of times.

Megan the Elder and I are going up there later today, so I'm sure more decorating ideas will develop.

No comments: