Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chalet in the Woods

Well, it looks like I've bought a chalet in the woods near Lake Wenatchee. I signed the papers today, and am only waiting for the closing date to be set. It would only take me a couple of days to arrange for the transfer of funds, but I guess the title insurance people have to do something to earn their money, so it will probably be next week before I get the keys.

The cottage lies on a 0.8 acre lot and has a garage and woodshed for outbuildings. Even though it's in an area with lots of other homes around, the lots are all big enough and set back far enough that you don't have to strain too much to imagine
that you're really out in the boonies.




I've liked this area ever since the first time I was out here a few years ago. It's about two hours from Seattle and 40 minutes east of the Steven's Pass ski area. It's convenient for downhill skiing, and in the middle of literally hundreds of miles of trails for cross-country skiing and snowmobiling. And since it's east of the Cascades, there's a lot more sun here in the winter than in Seattle. Lots of snow too! As much as I hate stinky and noisy snowmobiles, I might even buy a couple of them. I hear that if you go fast enough, you leave the smoke and the noise behind you! There are
two lakes in the area, Fish Lake and Lake Wenatchee, plus several creeks and rivers. Apparently the fishing can be pretty good, and
the snowmobile/ski trails can be used for mountain-biking or hiking.

It's truly a year round recreation area.

I looked around here a bit after I sold the condo in Whistler, but the prices were too high for my taste. But as everyone knows, real estate has taken a hell of a beating in the last couple of years, and the prices in this area dropped enough for me to start looking seriously again. The price on this place dropped 30% since its initial listing last summer!

The place is pretty much ready to move in, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need any work. The garage will have to be rewired and I think I'll just tear down the woodshed and and build a new one. The house itself needs a bit of work, but nothing that will prevent me from using the place right away.

I've got lots of plans for the place. I can build a workshop in the garage, and I think I'll replace the woodshed adjacent to the house with a brewhouse where I can make some wine and beer and hunker down for the coming apocalypse.

1 comment:

Geordie Romer said...

Congrats on the purchase. That cabin is conveniently located in regards to all sorts of outdoor recreation. Maybe next year we'll get winter again and you can use it as a base for skiing or even ice skating at the new rink on Fish Lake. Welcome to the neighborhood.