Monday, March 1, 2010

It was a busy weekend

On Saturday, I got up dark and early to take my boat over to Brownsville to meet Dan and the crew of Great White at 8AM to go racing in The Jim DePue Memorial Race on Puget Sound. It's times like this that I love my boat! It's about 17 NM from Elliot Bay to Brownsville, and it only took me an hour to get there. If I'd gone by car, I'd have a drive, a ferry ride, and another drive, and far more than an hour to get there.

Like the forecast for the Toliva Shoals Race, the forecast was for light winds and rain. As it turned out the winds were great, and the rains never got past the drizzle level. We had a good race, coming third across the line even though we bumped one of the marks and had to do a penalty 360. By the time the times are corrected for handicaps, we'll have finished third or fourth. Thanks to Dan for another opportunity to race!

We even got back to Brownsville in time for me to make it back to Seattle in daylight. That was a good thing because there was a lot of debris in the water which would have made for a very stressful trip back in the dark. So I got back to the dock, washed down the boat, teamed up with Megan, and headed for the Cottage in the Woods.

Weekends just don't get any better!

No comments: