Sunday, December 2, 2007

Happy 60th Jerry!



Last night a whole bunch of friends and family celebrated Jerry's 60th. Now that he's a responsible senior citizen of 60, he'll have to refrain from the behavior he exhibited in the BVI earlier this year. He said it was sea sickness, but we all knew it was really the multiple Wrecks on the Rocks that he consumed so happily the night before. For those of you who don't know, a Wreck on the Rocks consists of 2 shots of rum (preferrably Pusser's), 1 shot of coconut Malibu rum, 1 shot of pineapple Malibu rum, and a 1/2 shot of lime cordial. I was going to have these blown up to life-size photos (you can click on them for a larger view), frame them, and give them to Jerry as a gift, but on second thought, I decided to give them to the whole world via the internet.
Happy Birthday Jerry!!


Have any of you been following the presidential primaries? I especially love the Republican battles and the reactions of my right-wing-whacko friends trying to defend any of the candidates. Giuliani is a three times married, East Coast almost liberal (at least in his social views), estranged from his kids, and has all sorts of skeletons in his closet. Today I heard a great description of him. Not that he's like Bush, but more like a cross between Cheney and Nixon. Romney is the biggest flipflopper of all time, making John Kerry look like a piker. McCain sold his soul to the devil, i.e., Bush, long ago to keep himself a viable conservative candidate. I liked him in 2000, but he's long past his best-before date. Huckabee is an interesting candidate. He's non-threatening and funny, and comes across as the compassionate conservative that Bush said he wanted to be. But I have an innate fear of any Bible-thumper who dismisses evolution and feels that big cities would be safer if everyone were carrying handguns. And yes, I heard him actually say that. Ron Paul is a bit of a monkey wrench who's thrown himself into the works. He gets lots of support from the younger libertarian crowd, but unfortuately, I don't think he has much of a chance. He at least is authentic, even when he espouses some of his whacko views, like wanting to go back to the gold standard.
I'm glad to see that Obama is finally moving up in the polls against Hillary. This morning he was leading her in Iowa and catching up with her in New Hampshire. I wonder why it took so long, but maybe he was smart enough not to peak too early. Now throw Oprah into the mix, and Hillary's inevitability is no longer so inevitable. I also like Edwards, who has the most populist campaign, but I don't think he's got much of a chance. Like McCain on the Republican side, I think he's had his one shot a the presidency. In terms of experience and qualifications, Richardson is head and shoulders above the candidates in either party, but his candidacy has never taken off. If he could somehow convince the 20 million Hispanics in the country that, in spite of his name and lack of an accent, he really is Hispanic, he might have a chance. I think he'd make a great VP, maybe with Obama.
No one can energize the GOP like Hillary, so I really hope that the first time I vote for a president, I don't have to hold my nose and vote for her. Just as Bush senior in '92 reminded a lot of women voters of their first husband, I think Hillary reminds a lot of men of their first wife. Hectoring, lecturing, humorless, power-hungry and conniving are all words that come to mind when I think about her. I really hope that Obama kicks her somewhat oversized butt!

No comments: