Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dinner and a Movie

Daughter Megan and I went for a dinner and a movie yesterday evening. We went to the Buenos Aires Grill in Belltown for dinner and then to see Grand Torino. Dinner was good, and with me ordering the mixed grill and Megan a filet, there was lots of it. (The leftovers are in a doggy bag in my fridge.) As is often the case with mixed grills, everything starts tasting the same after a few bites, and even though too much salt was used, overall it was a good meal and a pretty good deal. The empenadas we had for an appetizer were probably the best I've ever had.

The movie was a different matter. I like Clint Eastwood, and I thought that if the reviews were at all accurate, I'd really enjoy this movie. At best it was OK. The theme of a grumpy and bitter old man finding redemption could have been done a lot better without the really crappy acting by the two main Hmong characters; without Eastwood's snarling and growling (one of each would have been sufficient); without the stereotypical young red-haired Irish priest; and without the hackneyed and cliched ending. The good parts all occured in the first half of the movie with a multitude of pretty funny Archie Bunker-like racial slurs delivered by Eastwood's character. This is a 6.5/10 at best. This movie can wait until it comes out on Netflix.

No comments: