Thursday, January 8, 2009

A New Computer

Gosh, they're giving these things away. Yesterday I bought an HP G60-23OUS laptop for $499.99 after rebates! This thing has a 16" screen, a 230G hard drive, and 3G of RAM. It's got an Intel Dual-Core processor (even though I'm told it's the bottom of the Dual-Core line), DVD/CD, webcam, and all the usual things. I don't see how anyone can possibly be making money on this thing.

This all started on Saturday when I was helping Megan (the Elder) pick out a computer. This is the exact computer she ended up buying. I've been getting frustrated with my good old Sony Vaio, with sticking keys and a larded up operating system that I had to reboot twice a day. I had vowed that I'd buy a Mac next time, so I went to the local Apple store to check them out. Apple certainly has their retail sales system down pat. When you walk in the store, a knowledgable and friendly associate assists you (without getting pushy) and tells you everything you'd ever want to know. (If you actually buy something, they are also your cashier, using a wireless doo-dad to ring up your sale and email you the receipt) I liked their base laptop, and would have bought it, but just couldn't justify $1299 for a cool computer v. $499 for a not-so-cool computer. After seeing Megan's HP in action, Apple's cool just wasn't worth $800. And besides, if I had a Mac, I'd no longer have anything to bash my Microsoft-employee friends about.

Speaking of Microsoft... Vista isn't nearly as bad as one would think from the publicity and Mac ads. So far the transfer and set up has gone very smoothly. Vista even found the printer on my wireless network without me even asking! The only thing that got me cursing a bit was trying to figure out a way to transfer my address book from Outlook to the Windows Mail program included with Vista. It took me an hour to figure it out. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but if there is an easy way, it's well hidden.

So, here's my first blog post on the new computer. Can you tell the difference?

Ps. I still plan on doing a recap of 2008 and my predictions for 2009. I'll try to get around to it in a few days.

No comments: