Saturday, January 24, 2009

This is ridiculous

It seems that every year for the last few years I've driven up to Edmonton in the dead of winter. I don't really plan on going up every year in the dead of winter (I'm no masochist), but somehow it always happens. And every year, I get at least a little taste of the cold stuff that makes me appreciate the liquid sunshine in Seattle all the more.


But this is effing ridiculous! 37 degrees be-effing-low! You gotta be kidding me!

Yesterday was cold, about -22. It was cold enough that the dashboard instuments on my car didn't work until about 10 minutes after I started the car. And it was cold enough that when I realized I'd left my gloves in the car overnight, I didn't bother putting them on for the 100 foot walk from the parking lot to my Mom's place. I had forgotten the tingling burning sensation of the flesh freezing in my fingertips. I wonder what today's going to be like and what other long-vanquished memories will return.

Meanwhile, the weather appears to quite pleasant for Sarah and Alvin's wedding in Lusaka. A mild 22 with a chance of showers. Don't let the mosquitos get you!

Best wishes to Alvin and Sarah on their special day!





Ps. For the Celsius-challenged among you, -37C is about -35F. Effing cold in any language, I'd say.

No comments: