Monday, January 19, 2009

On the Road Again

Here's a shot of Mt. Robson, the highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies. Often it's shrouded in clouds, but yesterday the skies were crystal clear. It's a good-looking mountain, isn't it? I took it late yesterday afternoon on the way to Edmonton.
The roads and weather were good all the way except at about the 30 mile mark. I planned on getting an early start on the 14-hour drive to Edmonton, and managed to get away from the house by about 5:30. By six, I was stopped in the middle of I5 near Everett, watching nine tow trucks, two ambulances, and innumerable police cruisers pass by on the shoulder. After more than an hour of not moving, everyone got turned around (I don't think I've ever driven the wrong way on an interstate before) and re-routed through Everett. I don't know what happened, but some combination of early morning fog and ice on the bridges caused a massive pileup of some sort.
I'll be in Edmonton for a week, visiting with my Mom before taking her to Saskatoon for a visit. She'll stay there for a week or so, but I'll head back to Seattle via Calgary where I'll pick up Megan (the Elder) who's flying in to accompany me on the trip back to Seattle. We'll ski in the Banff area at Sunshine and Lake Louise and then head to Kamloops to ski at Sun Peaks. I haven't skied Lake Louise or Banff for at least 20 years, and I've never skied at Sun Peaks. And it will be totally new to Megan. I'm sure we'll have a great time.

No comments: