Saturday, June 23, 2007

Stupid Passport Rules and Psychotic Dogs

Yesterday, my rejected application for a new Canadian passport arrived, three months after I applied!!!! The US changed their rules, not only for Americans for re-entry to the US, but also for Canadians to have passports when they fly to or through the US. This has created a huge backlog for American applications, and even though I'm sure it never even occurred to the US, it has created a huge demand for Canadian passports as well. Then, to make matters worse, the Canadians changed their rules on passport photos, and are enforcing them to the nth degree. My application was rejected because there are very small shadows on the background. So now, to get a passport, I have to get new photos and get to the back of the line and wait another three months. Or I can go to Vancouver, BC, and apply in person. Those applications apparently take 10 working days to process. Then I will have to go back to Vancouver to pick up my new passport because they will not mail out passports to those who applied in person. Grrrr. I guess I'll end up going to Vancouver. The good news is that there are worse places in the world to have to spend a day or two.

Eddie may end up being more of a challenge than I initially thought. Last night he bit Megan for no apparent reason. A week ago he bit Ute, again for no reason. (I thought it was men he didn't like!?) A week before that, even though he was tied up on the foredeck of my boat, he jumped off and bit a guy who was walking his bicycle down the dock. I'm working on his separation anxiety (putting him in his crate with NPR on seems to help when I'm gone), and I'm working on his psychotic-rabid-dog greeting to whoever comes to the door, but biting is not at all acceptable. He is enrolled in a Bettter Manners class starting on July 9th, and I can only hope that works. He's good on the leash, loves walks, and is loving and affectionate with me, but if I can't get his aggression under control, his long term relationship with me will be in jeopardy:(

1 comment:

rita said...

Sorry to hear about you continuing problems with Eddie....yes biting is never a good thing...can get a dog put down for that kind of behaviour...and in lawsuits....I don't know which is worse...

I had a gal who helped clean my windows today say her friend had the same kinds of problems with her dog..same breed as Eddie..and they got a bike horn...and honked it at him when he would start barking at someone at the door...she claims it works beautifully on their dog...worth a thought...