Friday, June 29, 2007

Mission(s) Accomplished

All-in-all, today was a pretty good day. I left here at 5AM, dropped Eddie off in Blaine at 7:30, and was standing in line at the passport office in Vancouver by 9:40. I walked out less than an hour later with the promise that my bright shiny new passport would be waiting for me on July 16th. I was even a bit disappointed at how quick it was. I was all set up with my IPod and a new book The Worst Hard Times, a story of the dustbowl in Oklahoma and Texas by Timothy Egan. The book grabbed me right away, and I didn't even have time to finish the introduction and first chapter. But I saw my number come up, so I packed up the book and did the passport thing.

Then I think, rather than hanging around in Vancouver, I'll head right back and miss the big crunch at the border (it's Canada Day weekend, which , for you Americans is kinda like Canada's July 4th, but it's on July 1st instead) I got to the Peace Arch around 11:40 and saw the sign saying the wait was 1-1/2 hours there and 1 hour at the Truck Crossing. So, smart guy that I am, I went to Aldergrove/Lynden. It took me a half hour to get there and then another full hour to get through customs. Grrr.... I wish Eddie had been there to bite someone! Things are going more or less swimmingly until I get to Marysville. Stop and go all the way home. Double Grrrrrr! But I'm home now, and all's well.

No comments: