Monday, March 10, 2008

Crystal Mountain

Here are a few shots from a great day of skiing at Crystal Mountain yesterday. The sun poked through on a regular basis, and there was lots of snow.

Feeling rich from the Costco/American Express rebate I received last week, I bought a new camera. These are the first shots.

Unbeknownst to me, Megan and Chris were up there.


Also unknown to me, the entire Romanian crew were on the mountain! I didn't get a shot of all of them, but here are two. Megan (the elder) and Eric.

Eric (an expert skier, ski instructor, and Crystal aficionado) took Megan and me on some runs we never would have never found on our own. Megan and I are both nowhere near his level of ability, but she wanted to do what she described as a "Green Diamond" run, i.e., an easy "Most Difficult" run. Well, we ended up on a near vertical run, through the trees, in thick and not quite slushy snow that used to be knee deep powder. We made it down unscathed, but it wasn't pretty. I was so concerned about catching an edge in the heavy snow that I felt I couldn't stop or turn at will. I ended up side-slipping most of the way down. Megan did better than I did and wanted to do it again, but there was no way I wanted to do it again! We ended the day on a few easier runs that renewed my shaken faith in my dubious-at-best skiing ability.

No comments: