Tuesday, May 1, 2007

NO Marina




The Lake Pontchartrain Marina is in a lot better shape than it was last year. At least the boats are off the streets now. Obviously, there's still lots of work to be done. I did see several laser-like sailboats that looked like they were being readied for use, and I saw a sign saying the Power Squadron would be back, so maybe by next year at this time, the marina will be approaching normal.
No that isn't a new wainscoting-type look on houses. It's the bathtub ring that the flooding left. You can see (if you click on the picture, it will appear full size on your screen) the various levels where the water level stabilized for some period of time. These bathtub rings aren't nearly as prevalent this year as last, but you don't have to look too hard to find some. This particular house was located a mile or two south of the marina.
Yesterday, I had a great day. Hal and Colin were off doing other things, and I stayed at home to cook. I found the local NPR station and listened to All Things Considered while making a pork filé gumbo. I also had a couple of local microbrews to cool me off. Listening to NPR, cooking, and drinking fine beer. It doesn't get any better. And the gumbo turned out pretty well, especially considering I had never made one before.
Tomorrow, I think I'll go further afield and get out of town for most of the day. I think I'll go to Grand Isle, and see what it's like down there.

No comments: