Friday, May 18, 2007

Paying the Price

Being on the road for over a month has its price. As well as watching only a couple of hours of TV while I was gone, I read almost nothing. Now that I've caught up on past episodes of The Sopranos, I've got to get back into a regular reading routine. As a result, I went down to Elliot Bay Book Store (no big-box book stores for me!), and bought a bunch of books I've been meaning to read for quite some time, and one book recommended to me by my big sister Marian, whose past recommendations have been great. The books I bought are:

The Looming Tower, Al-Queda and the Road to 9/11, by Lawrence Wright
The Prince of the Marshes, And Other Occupational Hazards of a Year inIraq, by Rory Stewart
To Live's To Fly, The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt, by Jon Kruth (hat tip to Marian)
The Worst Hard Time, The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, by Timothy Egan

I've heard several good reviews, both published and word of mouth, about The Looming Tower, and The Prince of the Marshes. I've liked the music of Townes Van Zandt for quite some time, but don't know much about him other than the legends of his privileged birth, hard-charging lifestyle, and premature death. The Worst Hard Time is written by a local Seattle author, and I've heard him interviewed on the local NPR station. I hope he writes as well as he talks.

Stay tuned for book reports.

No comments: