Monday, April 21, 2008

Enough Already

I’m hoping that after tomorrow’s Pennsylvania primary, Hillary will see the light and pull out. The polls show her winning by 6-8 points, well below the double digits she needs to claim “momentum.” Even with “momentum” I can’t see a scenario where she wins the nomination unless Obama is caught on video in bed with a live boy or a dead girl. If she somehow manages to twist enough super-delegates' arms to overturn the delegate count, the Democratic Party will implode into civil war and McCain will win. But unless Obama actually wins in PA, I suspect she’s willing and able to trigger that war.

One thing about the polls that nobody seems to talk about much is that the polling is done by making calls to land line telephones. A lot of people I know, including me, and especially young people, don’t have land lines and use mobile phones exclusively. Where do they fit into the polling demographic? I think this is a major reason why the polls this year have been all over the place.

Even as a self-professed political junkie, I have a hard time watching the cable TV talking heads blathering on about total nonsense. Last week’s “debate” took the cake. When they could have been talking about the never-ending wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the financial market meltdown, torture, the price of oil, world-wide food shortages, and a host of other real issues that affect ordinary people, Obama is asked about why he doesn’t wear an American flag lapel pin!!! And to think that I used to think that George Stephanopolous was an OK guy. Obama didn’t do all that well in the debate, but I think a big reason is that he tends not to speak in sound bites, and he’s not always politically correct. He’s learning to be careful what he says, and that makes him less than his usual eloquent self.

Oh well. I’ll watch the results as they come in tomorrow and hope that all this comes to an end soon.

No comments: