Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'll be moving slowly today

I think that every muscle in my body, with the possible exception of a few finger muscles on my left hand, are sore as hell today. But they're sore in a good way. I played five matches in a racquetball tournament yesterday, and won all of them except the final one. I choked in the final match against a wily old fart, and I ended up in second place. He was in much worse shape than me, and when I discovered I couldn't beat him with my killer serve, I thought I'd try and wear him down with long rallies. Unfortunately, I always ended up blowing a shot before he did, and he had much more left in him than I thought. He beat me pretty badly in the last game.

I'd be the last to say that it was a high-level competition, but it was a real tournament nonetheless. I played my guts out, and I'm reasonably pleased with the results, considering I've only been playing a couple of months after a fifteen year hiatus. Racquetball is one of the few forms of exercise I actually enjoy and that I don't have to force myself to do. I'll continue playing a couple of times a week, working on the finer points of the game, and I'll do better next time.

No comments: