Saturday, April 12, 2008

Teak and Boats and Skiing

Farley and I spent Thursday and Friday working on cleaning up WaveGuide for the sea trial and inspection this Tuesday. He seems quite content to sit on the foredeck, supervising and watching the world go by. One problem though, I bought him a life jacket a couple of weeks ago, but he's growing so fast he's almost outgrown it already!





On Friday my friend Joe came to help me clean the teak decks. They were weathered silver and had a few stains, but I was reluctant to clean them and brighten them up because I was afraid I'd screw something up and make the teak worse. Well, Joe reassured me that all would be well. We washed and scrubbed the deck down with a cleaner that was essentially oxalic acid. We did this a couple of times and then rinsed the deck thoroughly before washing it again with a light scrubbing of teak brightener. We let that sit for a few minutes and then rinsed it again. I think the results were quite remarkable. The teak has its golden hue back, and they look almost new.

Thanks for your help, Joe!


On Monday, I'll continue the cleanup by detailing the engine compartments and rubbing down all the interior woodwork with Pledge. On Tuesday, I'll give the boat a good washdown and towel dry the hull. The new buyer will not be able to resist! At least I hope he won't be able to resist, because yesterday I made an offer on the C&C 121 in San Diego, and today, after a little negotiation, that offer was accepted! So if all goes well, I'll be sailing in a month or so!




Today was the second-last day of the ski season at Crystal. It was a gorgeous day, with bright blue skies, and temperatures in the low 70's. We left early, because as the day wore on the snow got really sticky, and lousy skier that I am, I had trouble staying upright. But nonetheless, it was a great day on the slopes, and a great final day of skiing for this season.

No comments: