Friday, April 4, 2008

C&C 121

This afternoon I'm going to look at a C&C 121 sailboat. The seller is asking for too much money, but the boat's been on the market for a year-and-a-half, so the seller should be motivated to negotiate. The C&C 121 is a relatively light and quick 40' boat with two good sized cabins and should be well-suited to the sailing conditions here in the Seattle area. It also has some race capability, so assuming that this deal goes through, I could well be racing this year. I won't race in any serious races, but there are enough "fun" races where you can be as serious as you want to be. I don't have the killer competitive instinct that a lot of otherwise mild-mannered skippers have, but I like racing because it's a great way to learn how to sail, and it's a great way to learn how your boat handles at the extremes. I should know within a couple of weeks whether the deal on my boat goes through. If I play my cards right, I should be able to sell my boat and buy the other immediately, thereby avoiding the sales tax. It's like trading in your car. You only pay sales tax on the difference, and since I'm buying a less-expensive boat, I won't pay any sales tax at all. Cool!

No comments: