Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Racquetball and more

When I joined the Olympic Health Club, I signed on with a personal trainer for 20 sessions because I knew that I wouldn't have the self-discipline to work out on my own. Now that I can feel the positive effects of that training, I signed up for a kick-boxing aerobics class on Mondays, and I joined the winter racquetball league. On Monday I did the kick-boxing thing, and I must admit that it kicked my ass! Not only was it hard work, but a lot of the steps and kicks and punches required a certain amount of coordination and rhythm. My background with the Mennonite Rhythm Section was about as much help as I expected. I was lost most of the time, but I managed to work myself to the point of exhaustion in a effort to keep up. Last night, I played racquetball for the first time in two years, and probably only the third time in fifteen. Back in the old days, I played with brute force and not much finesse. Now, most of my brute force is gone, and I never did have much finesse, but I managed to play without too much embarrassment. Two matches, 15-4 and 15-7. At first I was concerned that I was put in the wrong division (Intermediate Plus), but even though I don't think I'll win too many matches until I get my timing back, I think I'll be competitive. In any case, it felt good, and it was lots of fun.

Yesterday, I joined the facebook world. Blogs are sooo yesterday! I haven't quite figured out what it's all about, but there I am. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1049534383 With only one friend in the whole blogosphere:(!

My friend Hal is a veteran of MySpace. I took a look at his site yesterday, and he's done quite a bit with it. Here's a link. http://www.myspace.com/infierno667 I don't know what it is with us old farts on social networking sites on the internet. There's probably something not quite right about it, but here we are!

No comments: