Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Something I'd Never Done Before

A couple of years ago when I was in charge of the SSYC NW Harvest Benefit Race, I met Alma Rubinstein, aka The Professional Dater. She had just started a dating service here in Seattle and used the SSYC event to try and drum up some business. In any case, we kept in touch, and once in a while she'd use me as an emergency back-up date for some love-seeking woman who'd signed on with her. I was glad to be of service, and since I'm unattached most of the time, there was always the possibility of me finding that special someone. I hadn't heard from her for over a year, but she called me yesterday afternoon asking if I could fill an empty chair at a speed-dating event she was hosting at a coffee shop that night. I wasn't doing anything else, so I figured why not? You've probably heard about these things. At this event, there were 9 men and 9 women, mostly in their 40's and 50's. The women sat at numbered tables, and the men moved from one table to the next every five minutes at the sound of a bell (kinda like a cross between Pavlov's dogs and Musical Chairs). We all made notes about the prospective dates, and then when it was all over, we handed in a summary sheet with the names of the women, and whether or not we wanted to see them again. The women did the same thing, and we will be notified by email of any mutual dating interest. It was a bit weird, but it was also fun and wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. There were a couple of women there with possibilities, but I don't think I'll follow up with anyone, even if they express interest in me. I don't have a shortage of interesting women in my life at the moment.

The presidential primaries are shaking out the riff-raff. Mr. 9/11 has finally packed it in, leaving McCain and Mr. Magic Underpants to battle it out. McCain is the scary one for Democrats. He's hated by core Republicans, but has a big appeal to independent voters. I think he can beat Hillary in a head-to-head competition. Republican hatred of Hillary will trump their dislike of McCain any day.

And it looks like John Edwards is giving up his bid, and his timing is good. As I've written before, I think more of his vote will go to Obama rather than Hillary. I guess we'll see on Super-Duper Tuesday.

My prediction of a McCain-Obama presidential race stands.

No comments: