Thursday, January 17, 2008

This and That

Now that Romney has won in Michigan, the top three GOP contenders have each won a major victory. All we need now to open up the race is for Thompson to win in South Carolina and Giuliani to win in Florida. This could get really interesting before it’s all over. I thought the primary process was meant to winnow down the field, but this year, the exact opposite is happening. And even for a semi-literate political junkie like me, it’s hard to follow what’s going on. The number of delegates for each state, the super delegates, the caucus and primary rules, and winner-take-all v. proportional allocation, are all different in each contest. I was more than a bit surprised to read yesterday that Romney is actually way ahead in the convention delegate count so far with something like 50% of committed delegates. But if Giuliani’s Florida strategy works, he could vault himself back into contention by sweeping all of Florida’s delegates in that winner-take-all state. And nobody has any clue as to what will happen on Super-Duper Tuesday.

The Democratic contest is a bit easier to follow, and would be even more so if Edwards did the honorable thing and dropped out. Even if he were to win in South Carolina, he doesn’t have a chance in the overall contest, and all he’s doing now is muddying the waters. I haven’t seen any polls to support this, but I suspect most of his voters would cross over to Obama. I think the only way the Democrats can lose this year is if they nominate Hillary, and unfortunately I wouldn’t put it past them.

You’d think that the Greatest Nation on God’s Green Earth could come up with a better way to pick the next Leader of the Free World.

The stock market really sucks these days, and I don’t see any reason for it to get any better any time soon. I may have to dust off my resume and get back into the job market. I think I’d make a great greeter at Wal-Mart.

Or maybe I could become a personal trainer. I’ve had some experience on the trainee side. Speaking of my fitness regime, I’ve joined a racquetball league and will start an aerobic kick-boxing class next week. I’ve bought another 10 sessions with my PT, so with a three or four times a week workout routine, I’ll be buff in no time. So far, I feel pretty good, but I’m a bit surprised that if anything, I’ve gained some weight since I started working out. I didn’t really expect to lose any weight, but I wouldn’t have thought that working out, combined with my no-alcohol January , would result in a weight gain. Oh well. As they say, muscle is heavier than fat. And it doesn’t jiggle around quite so much.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's true Uncle Wal, it's absolutely normal to gain weight when you've started a new workout regime. Just think of all the jigs turning into gleaming muscle:-) Best of all- you weight gain means your new plan is working! (I can't believe your PT didn't explain this to you)...

But not Wal-mart. Your sister & I would disown you.