Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Year in Review, Part III

2007 was a pretty good year for me, even by my standards, where every year is a good year. I re-visited some of my favorite places; I found some new favorite places, and to keep things fresh and challenging, I did some things I'd never done before.


In March, I went back to the BVI for another fine week of sailing and fun in the sun. The BVI are a great sailing destination. It's like Disneyland for sailors, with great winds, fine warm weather, beautiful clear water, and lots of fun nightclubs and restaurants. My only complaint is that it's not the kind of place you go for any history, culture, or local flavor. I'm sure if you dig deep enough, you'll find some, but it's a lot easier to find surly local people living in abject poverty in what should be an island paradise.


Another deeply flawed, but nonetheless fascinating place is New Orleans. The food and music are great, but the still very apparent devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina has laid open the rotten underbelly of a disfunctional city.


A year would not be complete without the annual Hal and Walter Motorcycle Trek to the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. It's an occasion to celebrate the fun, food, friends and family that are so important in my life. (I would have included music and beer in the list, but I couldn't think of any suitable synonyms that started with "f"). This year was extra special because Sarah and Alvin were there from Zambia. As usual, the weather sucked, but it wouldn't be a real EFMF without at least a day or two of bitterly cold wet weather.


A trip that started out as a week's trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa Inlet turned into a month in the waters of Desolation Sound and The Broughtons. What a great trip, and what a great travel companion! Thanks for the memories, Bonnie.


Offshore and round-the-clock sailing were a couple things I had never done before, but will certainly do again. In some ways, it was a baptism by fire, but we all survived with no blood shed and no damage done. Thanks to Bob for Phyllis for the opportunity, and good luck to them on the rest of their round the world voyage. (Check out the link http://www.gaiaworldtour.net/ to their website.

I think 2008 will be a good year for me, even though the rest of the world seems to be going to hell in a hand basket. Even if I won't save the world with my indolent and self-indulgent life-style, the least I can hope for is to do no harm.

No comments: