Friday, May 16, 2008

Nouveau Mennonite Cuisine?

I'm not sure my ancestors would approve. Last night I grilled some of my favorite Mennonite Farmer sausage, but instead of making the thick cream gravy (schmaunfat) and potatoes that are traditionally served with it, I grilled some yams, peppers, onions, zucchini, and a couple of potatoes. I served it all with a Greek salad, and washed it down with a couple of IPA's. Tradition be damned! It was fabulous!







After dinner with Megan and Chris, I went along with them to their first league softball game. Caroline was playing as well, so I got to be the obnoxious father yelling at the coach and umpire. It was great fun!


Here's Megan, starting her run from second to third.












Here's Caroline in right field, hoping against hope that the ball won't be coming her way. Note the look of concerned concentration on her face.

















And Chris, delivering his 10 mph fastball!


















But on to other matters... I screwed up big-time a few weeks ago when I booked my flights to Croatia. I can't believe I did it, but I did. I booked my flight from Amsterdam to Split for the day before I got to Amsterdam!!! So this morning I had to fix it all. Changing flights was excruiating, and expensive. To change my Croatian Air flights to the right day would have cost $1400. To change my North West Airline flights to Amsterdam for Tuesday rather than Wednesday would have cost $1700. I ended up canceling the Croatian Air flight, and booked a new one with Austrian Airlines for $900. So now I have a credit of $600 with Croatian Air. What do you think my chances of using that in the next year are? Oh well. All my flights and hotels are booked, so I guess I'm ready to go. I did save some money by making my hotel reservations by phone on my baby laptop. Isn't Skype wonderful!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love these photos Uncle Wal- looks like summertime!
And what about that pup of yours- is he still around?!