Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Then and Now (Again)

My friend Joe came over today, and we traded some software. I gave him a charting/navigation program, and he lent me his slide to digital scanner. So I dug out some old slides that hadn't seen the light of day in at least 30 years.

This picture was taken in July 1974. I had just turned 22! I was on my first major motorcycle expedition. I didn't start small and work my way up. I left Jasper, Alberta, in May 1974 and headed east, ending up on Signal Hill in St. John's, Newfoundland where this picture was taken. St. John's is closer to London, England, than it is to Jasper. This ended up being a 12,000 mile, three month road trip!





This picture was taken last year, at the beginning of Hal's and my 9,000 mile trip to New Orleans and back.


Actually, I should retake this picture now. My hair is longer, and I have the Van Dyke, so there actually is a resemblance to what I looked like 34 years ago.

Maybe I'll repost this when I take off for the Edmonton Folk Festival this year and see if I can get a more similar pose. Or maybe I should just head back to St. John's. I haven't been there since.

No comments: